Comparison of Surgical Outcome of Anterior Circulation Aneurysms With and Without Proximal Temporary Artery Occlusion
Keywords:Vasospasm, Intracranial, Aneurysm, Temporary Clipping, Ischemic Changes
Objective: To compare the outcome of the TAO vs. no TAO during aneurysm surgery in terms of clinically significant postoperative ischemic changes due to vasospasm.
Material and Methods: A quasi-experimental study was conducted at Lahore General Hospital wherein 82 patients were enrolled. This study was conducted when the first author was working as PGR at LGH Lahore during 2015 to 2017. Patients were followed from admission to three-month post-op. During the follow-up, patients with clinical substantial post-op ischemic changes were calculated on CT Angiography for the presence of vasospasm.
Results: Mean age of the patients was 45.23 years. Proximal TAO was done in 30% (n=25) patients. Clinically significant post-op ischemic changes were seen in 29.3% (n = 24) patients. Of the patients who underwent proximal TAO, longer occlusion time (> 10 mins) was significantly associated with ischemic changes (p-value 0.015). Age > 50 years also showed a statistically significant association with clinical vasospasm (p-value
Conclusion: Temporary proximal artery clipping when employed within a limited duration appears to be safe and has no significant impact on clinical vasospasm. Since vasospasm is multifactorial, avoiding a longer duration of proximal TAO in patients with advancing age could decrease the frequency of post-operative ischemic changes due to vasospasm in such patients.
2. Artico M, Spoletini M, Fumagalli L, Biagioni F, Ryskalin L, Fornai F, et al. Egas Moniz: 90 Years (1927 – 2017) from Cerebral Angiography. Front Neuroanat. 2017 Sep. 19: 11.
3. Dott NM. Intracranial Aneurysms: Cerebral Arterio-Radiography: Surgical Treatment. Edinb Med J. 1933; 40 (12): T219–40.
4. Krayenbu?hl N, Erdem E, Oinas M, Krisht AF. Symptomatic and Silent Ischemia Associated with Microsurgical Clipping of Intracranial Aneurysms. Stroke, 2009; 40 (1): 129–33.
5. Johnson M, Christensen CC, Kagermann H. Reinventing Your Business Model. Harv Bus Rev. 2008; 87: 52–60.
6. Krisht AF, Gomez J, Partington S. Outcome of Surgical Clipping of Unruptured Aneurysms as it Compares with a 10-Year Nonclipping Survival Period. Neurosurgery, 2006; 58 (2): 207–16.
7. Akyüz G, Do?an O, ?ar V, Yargiç L?, Tutkun H. Frequency of dissociative identity disorder in the general population in Turkey. Compr Psychiatry, 1999; 40 (2): 151–9.
8. Charbel FT, Ausman JI, Diaz FG, Malik GM, Dujovny M, Sanders J. Temporary clipping in aneurysm surgery: Technique and results. Surg Neurol. 1991; 36 (2): 83–90.
9. Doyle CJ, Post H, Burney RE, Maino J, Keefe M, Rhee KJ. Family participation during resuscitation:
An option. Ann Emerg Med. 1987; 16 (6): 673–5.
10. Kang H-L, Benzer S, Min K-T. Life extension in Drosophila by feeding a drug. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2002; 99 (2): 838–43.
11. Kang SHK, McDermott KB, Roediger HL. Test format and corrective feedback modify the effect of testing on long-term retention. Eur J Cogn Psychol. 2007; 19 (4–5): 528–58.
12. Woertgen C, Rothoerl RD, Albert R, Schebesch K-M, Ullrich O-W. Effects of temporary clipping during aneurysm surgery. Neurol Res. 2008; 30 (5): 542–6.
13. Petridis AK, Kamp MA, Cornelius JF, Beez T, Beseoglu K, Turowski B, et al. Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Dtsch Aerzteblatt. 2017; 13: 114.
14. Tang C, Zhang T-S, Zhou L-F. Risk Factors for Rebleeding of Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Meta-Analysis. Ai J, editor. PLoS One, 2014; 9 (6): e99536.
15. Inagawa T. Risk Factors for Cerebral Vasospasm Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Review of the Literature. World Neurosurg. 2016; 85: 56–76.
16. Yao X, Tangri N, Gersh BJ, Sangaralingham LR, Shah ND, Nath KA, et al. Renal Outcomes in Anticoagulated Patients With Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70 (21): 2621–32.
Copyright (c) 2022 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.