The outcome of Endoscopic Supraorbital Eyebrow Approach: A Case Series Reported from PINS, Pakistan
Objective: The study was conducted to evaluate the technique and results of the endoscopic supraorbital eyebrow craniotomy for resection of extra-axial skull base lesions.
Material and Methods: A case study of 70 patients who underwent the endoscopic supraorbital eyebrow approach was conducted. The patients' lesion location, the extent of excision, hospital stay, complications, and cosmetic results were all examined. A 48-hour postoperative CT scan was conducted, followed by a 6-week MRI to check for residuals. Total resection (complete), near-total resection (>90 percent), and subtotal resection (< 90 percent) were the three types of resection rates. At the follow-up appointment, the wound was evaluated for aesthetic reasons as well as any neurological impairment.
Results: There were 39% male patients and 61.4% female patients. The mean age of the patients was 37 years. Craniopharyngioma (88.57%) was reported in most of the patients. In the majority (93%) of the cases, total resection was performed. No complication was observed in 70% of the patients. 14% of patients reported Diabetes insipidus. No intraoperative complications like bleeding or tissue injury were observed. 88.57% of patients were satisfied with the surgical management.
Conclusion: With outstanding aesthetic outcomes, the endoscopic supraorbital eyebrow approach is a safe and effective minimally invasive Keyhole method to remove extra-axial anterior skull base and sellar, suprasellar, and parasellar lesions.
2. Delashaw JB, Jr., Tedeschi H, Rhoton AL. Modified supraorbital craniotomy: technical note. Neurosurgery, 1992; 30: 954-956.
3. Frazier CH. I. An approach to the hypophysis through the anterior cranial fossa. Annals of surgery, 1913 Feb; 57 (2): 145.
4. Erik van Lindert MD, Axel Perneczky MD, Fries G, Pierangeli E. The supraorbital keyhole approach to supratentorial aneurysms: concept and technique. Surgical Neurology, 1998; 49 (5): 481-90.
5. Jallo GI, Bognár L. Eyebrow surgery: the supraciliary craniotomy. Operative Neurosurgery, 2006; 59 (suppl_1): ONS-E157.
6. Reisch R, Perneczky A. Ten-year experience with the supraorbital subfrontal approach through an eyebrow skin incision. Operative Neurosurgery, 2005; 57 (suppl_4): ONS-242.
7. Steiger HJ, Schmid-Elsaesser R, Stummer W, Uhl E. Transorbital keyhole approach to anterior communicating artery aneurysms. Neurosurgery, 2001; 48 (2): 347-52.
8. Erik van Lindert MD, Axel Perneczky MD, Fries G, Pierangeli E. The supraorbital keyhole approach to supratentorial aneurysms: concept and technique. Surgical Neurology, 1998; 49 (5): 481-90.
9. Czirják S, Szeifert GT. Surgical experience with frontolateral keyhole craniotomy through a superciliary skin incision. Neurosurgery, 2001; 48 (1): 145-50.
10. Dare AO, Landi MK, Lopes DK, Grand W. Eyebrow incision for combined orbital osteotomy and supraorbital minicraniotomy: application to aneurysms of the anterior circulation. Journal of Neurosurgery, 2001; 95 (4): 714-8.
11. Fatemi N, Dusick JR, de Paiva Neto MA, Malkasian D, Kelly DF. Endonasal versus supraorbital keyhole removal of craniopharyngiomas and tuberculum sellae meningiomas. Operative Neurosurgery, 2009; 64 (suppl_5): ONS. 269-87.
12. Jho HD. Orbital roof craniotomy via an eyebrow incision: a simplified anterior skull base approach. min-Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, 1997; 40 (03): 91-7.
13. Ko Y, Yi H, Kim Y, Oh S, Kim K. Eyebrow incision using tattoo for anterior fossa lesions: technical case reports. min-Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, 2001; 44 (01): 17-20.
14. Mitchell P, Vindlacheruvu RR, Mahmood K, Ashpole RD, Grivas A, Mendelow AD. Supraorbital eyebrow minicraniotomy for anterior circulation aneurysms. Surgical Neurology, 2005; 63 (1): 47-51.
15. Wilson DA, Duong H, Teo C, Kelly DF. The supraorbital endoscopic approach for tumors. World Neurosurgery, 2014; 82 (1-2): e243-56.
16. Kabil MS, Shahinian HK. Application of the
supraorbital endoscopic approach to tumors of the anterior cranial base. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2005; 16 (6): 1070-4.
17. Khan DZ, Muskens IS, Mekary RA, Najafabadi AH, Helmy AE, Reisch R, Broekman ML, Marcus HJ. The endoscope-assisted supraorbital “keyhole” approach for anterior skull base meningiomas: an updated meta-analysis. Acta Neurochirurgica. 2021; 163 (3): 661-76.
18. Eroglu U, Shah K, Bozkurt M, Kahilogullari G, Yakar F, Dogan ?, Ozgural O, Attar A, Unlu A, Caglar S, Gadol AA. Supraorbital keyhole approach: lessons learned from 106 operative cases. World Neurosurgery, 2019; 124: e667-74.
19. Gazzeri R, Nishiyama Y, Teo C. Endoscopic supraorbital eyebrow approach for the surgical treatment of extraaxial and intraaxial tumors. Neurosurgical Focus, 2014; 37 (4): E20.
Copyright (c) 2022 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.